Since many of us are finding ourselves with some extra time these days, I decided to start posting a weekly roundup of websites I discover.* I’m going to try to avoid posting things about the virus because if you’re like me, you already read enough about it and need a bit of a break!
I’m so guilty of being on my phone way too often. Here are some tips that I want to integrate to help curb my phone usage.
If you need a creative outlet, try Morning Pages. This post talks about what they are and how to get started. I want to start on April 1st!
A hockey announcer from New York has started doing play-by-plays of different things, such as traffic on his street and a scene in The Lion King. Check out his Instagram feed for some entertainment!
Good list of tips to bring the outdoors in when you’re stuck inside, even if you don’t have a yard to play in.
According to this article, Animal Crossing : New Horizons is the game we deserve right now…
Jimmy Fallon and The Roots made a video of what should be the unofficial quarantine anthem.
That’s it for today! Have a great Saturday!
*I used to have posts called Seven Sunday Sites. These are completely different because it isn’t Sunday, and I’m not committing to a number. Important distinctions, right?
Coming back from an unplanned blogging hiatus to join the Currently linkup!
Fixing : Dinner a lot more lately! I’ve even (kind of) started meal planning. I want to try making more sheet pan dinners, so if anyone has recipes they enjoy, I’d love to hear them!
Hearing : Charlotte playing! She is playing independently a quite a bit, and it’s so fun to hear her playing with her toys. I just brought a box of my old Barbies from my parents’ house, and I’m getting them cleaned up. I can’t wait to hear her play with them!
Borrowing : More physical books from the local library. I used to only borrow electronic books, but I’m getting back into physical books lately!
Feeling : Grateful!!! We live in a town one county east of Nashville, and our county suffered a lot of damage from Tuesday morning’s tornadoes. Thankfully, our neighborhood didn’t have any damage; we have a lot of insulation in our yard from who knows where, and we lost power for about 16 hours, but we are healthy and safe, and that’s all that matters!!
Recommending : Local businesses, such as my chiropractor, dentist, and a shirt printing shop in the area. We frequent a lot of chain places (Target every Saturday…), but I’m trying to throw more business to the local folks!
Even though we’re already a week into October, it seems like the perfect time to talk about my September goals and set new ones for this month, right?
Here were my September goals :
1. Clean off our dining room table : Nope. It’s worse than it was before. Sigh…
2. Clean off our entryway dresser : Finished!! Look at the difference :
3. Get on track with daily routines : Not even close. I’m on fall break this week, so I’m taking some time to list out things that need to be done daily, times that I need to get up, be ready to leave, etc. I’m not a very organized person, so I need all of the help I can get with keeping myself on track!
4. Make consignment appointments : I’m taking Charlotte’s stuff tomorrow or Thursday. I haven’t made my own appointment, but I did make an appointment for a donation pickup, so I may just forget about consigning my stuff and donate everything!
5. Trade in old car seat : Done! I read that they were going to end the program early, so we traded in two old ones the day before they ended it. Phew!
Charlotte tells her old car seat goodbye!
6. Make an eye doctor appointment : Nope. Onto the October list you go…
7. Make a dentist appointment : See above…
8. Take Koopa to the vet : See item 6…sheesh…
9. Decorate for Fall : I’ve started doing this, so partial credit?
10. Start meal planning and prepping : No to this one too
11. Start walking again : Nope, but the joke was on me. Last month I said it was “starting to cool down,” then we had 90+ degree weather here all the way into the first week of October! Now it’s FINALLY fall around here, so let’s revisit this one for October!
12. Start posting at least once a week again : No for this one also.
So, I completely accomplished 2 and partially completed things out of my 12 for September. That’s not a ton, but I’m proud of myself for any progress!
October Goals :
1. Clean off our dining room table : Month 2 of trying to get this done!
2. Create/implement daily routines : Giving this one another go.
3. Make an eye doctor appointment : I NEED new glasses. Come on, Amber!
4. Make a dentist appointment : I think I’ve been procrastinating on this because I don’t know if I’m going to go back to my old one or pick a new one. Such tough decisions…
5. Take Koopa to the vet : We may not be able to get all of his shots and teeth cleaning this month, but we can at least take him to the new vet we’re going to try and let them do his pre teeth cleaning blood work.
6. Start meal planning and prepping : One of our PE teachers told me a little bit about what she does every Sunday, so I have some ideas to try!
7. Start walking again : Unless the weather goes back up to the 90s. Then I’m just going to hibernate. Haha!
8. Start posting at least once a week again : I’ve still got to post my dang fall bucket list and summer wrap up…if I can even find my summer list post!
9. Decorate for Halloween and/or Fall : I mean, it’s already October 8, so I don’t have much more time for Halloween, so I may just skip those decorations this year in favor of fall stuff until the day after Thanksgiving.
10. Work ahead on lesson planning and homework : This is kind of part of the routines thing, but I need to get into the habit of working ahead on these things instead of scrambling to do them at the last minute. Story of my life, right?
I’m going to stop my October goals at 10, especially since I had so many that I carried over from September. Do you have any goals for October? Let me know in the comments!
Well, hello there. It’s been a little bit since I’ve posted, hasn’t it? The world of being a school librarian has been extremely busy, plus I just started two of the classes I need to get my teaching certification/licensure, so I have been just a little frazzled for the last few weeks!
I’ve missed writing though! I’ve also missed reading blogs. I pulled up my feed reader yesterday, and I had over 700 unread posts! Sheesh! I wanted to ease back into writing, so I thought I would do a goals post to stretch out my writing muscles again and to motivate me to get some things done!
September Goals :
Clean off our dining room table : Somehow our dining room table can go from being completely clear to a disaster in the blink of an eye! It tends to be the place where we just drop things when we don’t really know where to put them, and then it just gets out of control. Now that Will and I have similar work schedules, we can eat dinner together as a family at night, so we really need to get the table cleared off to make this happen.
Clean off our entryway dresser : This is another spot where we just drop things, especially mail. It’s not quite as cluttered as the table, but it still needs to be cleaned off.
Get on track with daily routines : I spent most of August in survival mode with my new job, classes starting, Will’s schedule changing, etc, but now that we’re into September and getting into a groove, it’s time to work on daily routines. I want to get back to doing small daily housekeeping tasks like laundry and unloading the dishwasher. I also need to get back into the habit of choosing my work clothes the night before, making sure lunches and snacks are packed, getting my work bag together, and doing a quick tidy around the house.
Make consignment appointments : Charlotte and I both have a ton of clothes that we aren’t wearing. I want to make consignment appointments and start cleaning those items out since both of our closets are way too cluttered!
Trade in old car seat : I saw a post on Facebook about Walmart’s upcoming car seat trade in event. From September 16-30, you can get a $30 Walmart gift card for trading in car seats that your kids have outgrown! We just bought Charlotte a new, bigger car seat last month, so the old one is just sitting by the couch. This will help us declutter a little and give us a little extra money for groceries!
Make an eye doctor appointment : For some reason, this is a recurring goal for me. I have no idea why I don’t go ahead and schedule the next appointment each time I go for a visit, but here we are yet again!
Make a dentist appointment : Somehow I’ve gotten off track with my twice a year cleanings, and I can’t even remember when I last went! Plus, it’s really weird, but I had a wisdom tooth pop through a few months ago! It’s not hurting or bothering me, but I think it would be a good idea to get a pro to look at it!
Take Koopa to the vet : He’s a couple of months overdue for some shots, plus he needs a tooth cleaning also. We are just falling apart in this house, aren’t we?
Decorate for Fall : I just got a couple of fall decorations at Target yesterday, plus I’ve got a lot of things that I didn’t get out at all last year. I want to get those things out this year and make our house fall ready!
Start meal planning and prepping : I suppose this could go with creating daily routines, but I wanted to separate it out to make sure it got extra attention in my world. We have been so bad about eating fast food lately, and it’s hurting all of the weight loss progress I made early in the summer! I need to take time during the weekend to meal plan and prep to get ready for the week.
Start walking again : My mom, Charlotte, and I were walking the neighborhood pretty consistently earlier in the summer, but we missed a couple of days, and then we just ended up dropping that habit. I know that part of it was the super hot weather, so now that it’s starting to cool down, I want to resume this habit. Plus, this paired with dining out less often will help with that whole weight loss thing!
Start posting at least once a week again : My last goal is to post at least once a week on here. I’ve got a lot of posts I want to do, including creating a Fall Bucket List, so I just need to sit down and take the time to write them. This will be a good outlet when I’m tired of reading about collection development or want to stay off social media! I also need to fix the wonky site design that happened when I let my paid WordPress subscription lapse, but one thing at a time, right?
Anyone have any great September goals they want to share? Let me know in the comments!
Time for another Daily Dime post where I share 10 pictures from a day in my life! I haven’t done one of these since March 2018(!), so Charlotte looks just a little different than she did then!
These pictures are from Saturday, June 15.
One//Around 10:00 AM
Charlotte has an ABC mat on the floor of our screen room, so we go out there at least once a week so she can play with them. She’s started putting some of the empty parts on her head, which always makes me laugh!
Two//Around 10:00 AM
Poor Koopa always thinks that he gets to go in the back yard every time we go in the screen room, but until he gets his new flea/tick collar, he can’t. The ticks are so bad this year!
Three//Around 11:00 AM
Time for a late breakfast with Ariel and her inside ABCs. She is obsessed with ABCs and spelling right now!!
Four//Around 1:45 PM
My mom, Charlotte, and I have been taking daily walks around the neighborhood. We usually do it after I get home from work, so it’s not too hot, but today we had to go earlier, so it was blazing outside! Please note Charlotte’s snacks in the cup holder!
Five//Around 2:30 PM
After our walk, Charlotte and I played in the back yard for a few minutes. Unfortunately, our play time ended when Charlotte got super mad at me for not letting her go near the neighbor’s fence because I didn’t want her to get too close to their dogs. I’m such a mean mom!
Six//Around 6:00 PM
My brother bought two tickets to the My Brother, My Brother, and Me podcast’s live show, and he invited me to come along. This is the face I make when I get to go out and do something adultish!
Seven//Around 7:00 PM
My brother made fun of me and called me a tourist because I kept taking pictures downtown, but I don’t care! I just like taking pictures in Nashville, and I thought this one was a cool one!
Eight//Around 7:00 PM
Me and Little Jimmy Dickens. Enough said…
Nine//Around 9:00 PM
It’s the brothers McElroy! Let’s get this show started!
Ten//Around 10:15 PM
Okay, this is a mean picture, but it highly entertained me. These scooters are all over Nashville, but this is the first time I’ve seen two people trying to ride the same one! Right before I took this, the girl was standing there yelling at the boy. I imagine it was about their technique because when they got back on, they were booking it up the hill! Don’t ever change, Nashville.
So this doesn’t seem to be a linkup anymore, but I want to start doing these again more regularly because I think they’re a cool way to get a glimpse into people’s lives! My next one will be on July 17, so if you’re interested in joining in, leave me a comment, and maybe we can start a new linkup (maybe with a new name too because I don’t know if Daily Dime belongs to someone…).